In between round robin projects, I've been trying to complete a few of my own unfinished items. The latest is a Hussif that I started last autumn. This was one of those projects that started out great, but as I went to assemble it, realized it had some problems that I couldn't figure out how to resolve at the time. Discouraged, it ended up in the bottom of my "to do" basket. When I looked at it a few days ago, a solution presented itself and last night I was able to finish it in a couple of hours! I'm so glad because the embroidery and ribbon rose on the front of this has to be one of my favorite bits of handwork that I've ever done!
On the back, a little pocket holds a small altered Moleskine cahir that I use to sketch out seam treatments and embroidery ideas. To close the hussif, I added ribbon ties of the same ribbon used on the outer petals of the rose. To keep the ribbon from raveling with use, the end of each tie received a rolled hem.
Originally, I wanted these two flaps on the inside to be in the opposite positions to help keep the scissors more secure. When stitching, I mixed up how each side folded to the inside and got them backwards! It also meant that the innermost pockets wouldn't end up where I had planned.
Another problem on this was that when I measured, I neglected to add extra room in the folds to allow for filled pockets. So rather than the large pleated pockets I had wanted, I created a simple flat pocket using the front and inside front. It's just the right size to slip in a folded crazy quilt block. The middle section has old celluloid rings to hold a selection of ribbons and threads. On the right side I added another flat pocket to hold bobbins of thread, packets of beads and other trifles to embellish a crazy quilt block with. At the center top, I added an emory strawberry and a crocheted thimble pouch.
In the end, despite the problems that occured along the way, I'm really happy with the way it turned out! I'm so glad I let it rest awhile and was able to look at it with fresh eyes to see it through to completion!