May Block for CQJP 2015
I had hoped to be caught up with my CQJP 2015 blocks by now, but it's going a bit slower than I would like! This is my block for May!
Each block starts off a little differently, some with the main motif, others with a seam. This one started with the curved stems with pink and yellow flowers. There wasn't much pink fabric on this block, so I knew I needed to pull it through the rest of the block in order to help it blend with the other blocks. To the right, I stitched a variation of one of my favorite feather stitch patterns. In-between the two, I used a vintage seam pattern using a chevron stitch and straight stitch in a variegated thread. I love the way it turned out and can tell that this will be a favorite!
At the bottom of the block, I stitch a fly-stitch seam with lazy daisies added to create leaves and them some beaded flowers. Above it, I did a layered chevron stitch with some SRE embroidered flowers.
Buttonhole stitch is one that I don't use very often, but I've found so many variations that I am determined to play with it a bit more. It layers so beautifully with other stitches such as this herringbone/cretin stitch combo. I also used cretin stitch to hold this block's bit of rick-rack in place and used more lazy daisies for leaves and a variety of beads as flowers.
I've really come to love medallion type motifs. They lend themselves to so many possibilities! In the upper right corner I added a half medallion, once again trying to bring some of that pink through to the rest of the block. Below it, I used another favorite seam motif. The green turned out to be too dominating and I was able to lighten it up a bit to bring it into harmony with the rest of the block by adding the lighter green beads.
The seam behind the main motif needed some embellishment as well, so I added a subtle feather stitch variation known as the MaidenHair stitch. It provided just the right element of interest.
Along the top of the block I added a vining stitch with lazy daisies - and once again, a bit more of that bright pink! The combination stitch below is one that I found from Sharon Boggin's blog. It took me a while to figure it out, but it is layered with herringbone, chevron, straight stitches and has added fly stitches, lazy daisies and bouillon stitches.
For the central motif, I wanted to add some more of the little Mokuba ribbon flowers and also some leaves. I just love using this ribbon! To finish it off, I added a needle-woven sunflower type flower. It's a little simpler motif than some of the others that I have done, but it still balances well with the rest of the blocks!