15 July 2009
More Round Robin Blocks
For the sandy rock pool, I added sea urchins, lots of shells and "sand" as well as a starfish. Along the water's edge, there are lots of little irredescent beads to given the appearance of water.
I struggled at first with how to embellish the top half of the block, eventually deciding to add a flying gull (inspired by the gulls on the print fabric) so that it gave the appearance of a "bird's eye view" to the block. A bit of irredescent Balger cord added a glimmering water surface that unfortunately doesn't show up in the photos very well. Of all the round robins I've done, I think this is my favorite block so far!
I also finished a block for Laura. She hopes to use her blocks in a "Project Linus" quilt, so asked for no beads, buttons or things that might come off and endager a small child. For inspiration, I perused through some vintage embroidery patterns. The central fabric of this block is bright and the contrasts on it so strong that it was a challenge to do embroidery work that would show up. Using bright pearl cottons in a size 5 helped!